Monday, December 6, 2010

New Hair!

It goes down to the middle of my back, where you can't see... =)

 
I last cut my hair right before my sister Holly got married-almost 2 years ago. I have always wanted long hair, but would tire of it before it got very long. I don't know why, but I decided to just start growing it out then and there, and see just how long I could get it this time before throwing in the towel. It has NOT been easy. I'm not girly, in the least so I have no idea what exactly to do with the tangled mass on top of my head. Plus, after having my last kid it has stayed fairly thick, and gotten curly! Two things I have never had to deal with before! My hair was always super soft, and thin. So thin that the tiniest barrettes would simply slide right out of my hair. It was a joke, trying to get my hair to do anything. Then it got curly, and discovered frizz. Now barrettes would stay in, but it would look atrocious! It has seriously been in a ponytail for the last year and a half, and I was sick of it.

Once I get an idea in my mind about something, I seriously obsess over it, and can't think of anything else until it gets done. Probably undiagnosed OCD or something, but it is what it is. So I had reached my limit a few days ago when I went to run my hand through my hair and found a knot. I swear a sailor would have been proud of the mess my hair was in. It was seriously complicated to get out, and I was about to amputate that whole section of hair! (Teach me to sleep without a band in my hair. I must have had some serious restless sleep that night.) So I decided that the hair had to go, like yesterday!

I woke up today, and honestly couldn't deal anymore. I couldn't function. All I kept thinking about is how much it is bothering me, and how life would be so much easier without it. I noticed the hair of everyone on TV, judged it, and wondered if they just wore it in ponytails when they were away from the set. See? ALL CONSUMING! (I totally almost just pulled out my 'Yoda' talk....."All consuming, this hair is". I have no idea where that came from. I even had his voice inside my head.)

Anyway, I talked to my mom and she agreed to watch the 2 wee ones while I guillotined it. We went to the first place and there was a 45 minute wait. Nope! So off to the second shop we went, and there was no line there. Awesome possum, I was in! I went in totally gung ho, like "I want it all one length, to here." I sat down on the chair and told the girl that exact thing. She looked at me like I was nuts.

Her "I have an idea, how about it goes like this and frames your face? And I cut it to here?"

Me "Um, I'd rather have it all off. I have no idea how to do it, and it is frizzy. I hate it, and want it off..."

Her "That's why you want it off? That's fixable! How about to here, I can show you how to do it..."
She started cutting on one side, and looking at me for approval. "See? If you don't like it I will cut it the way you want it....I can't believe you want me to cut all this off!"

Me "Ok," still planning on having her cut it how I wanted it, "Go ahead..." After a minute or so, I saw what she was talking about, and had to swallow my pride. "Ok, I like it your way. Keep going."

I was so wrong about how I wanted my hair before! I love how she did it, and I'm very happy she wasn't too shy to basically tell me I would regret it, because now that I have this hair, I know I would have. I did tell her half way through the cut, that I really appreciated her speaking up because I could now see the possibilities. She was very sweet. She put product in, explained how to use it, and showed me a couple different ways to style my hair now. She was terrific!

I'm so thankful to my mom for watching the boys, and I'm thankful that they were good for her. I'm thankful that we went to the place we did, and the girl spoke up. But, I'm most thankful for my new SHORTER hair! I love it! Fast showers, and longer lasting shampoo-here I come!!



This is how she styled it.

This is out of the shower. See the curls? I can blow dry them out, but I didn't want to. I apologize for the red cheeks..This happens when I get headaches.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thing, straight hair until birth then curly hair! But my hair is curlier than yours. I'm glad she taught you about product, because it makes a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete