Thursday, June 2, 2011

Summer ideas to do with the kiddos!

The boys brought a little booklet home from school that gives different websites that are educational, so over the summer they can "play" on them and retain what they have learned, and possibly learn something else. Fantastic idea! I decided to go on the computer and check some of them out. I only got to the first one, and I am in love. It has crafty ideas for all ages, and science projects! I'm sure there's more but that's as far as I've gotten so far, because there's too much fun stuff to do!!

http://www.sandford-artedventures.com/

My favorites bar is going to refuse to let me save anything else pretty soon. I tried one of them out with the kids yesterday, and it was a huge hit!

Here's how to do it:

1) Get a plain piece of white paper. I think I would use a thicker paper other than just printer paper next time. Freezer paper would be great, since the back is waxy and it would be stronger. But if you don't have it, plain ol' printer paper DID work.

2) Color the paper in completely with different colored crayons. Fill ALL the white in. Warning, it gets very tiring. Might have developed a bit of Carpal Tunnel just doing 3 papers. This would be a great step for the kids to do. =)

3) With black Tempura paint, paint the entire paper. It looks like it's not covered when it's wet, but let it dry and you can cover spots that are kind of thin. I thought I'd have to do 2 coats of paint, but I was very surprised that when it dried, most of it was actually black. I only had to do touch ups on a few spots. It took overnight, then half the next day to dry....Maybe if it was in the sunlight or if it had a fan on it, it would dry faster. You could always just do 2 coats, if you want. Make sure it is all covered that way. If 2 coats are your thing, definitely use thicker paper to prevent tearing when you get to the etching part.

4) When paint is completely dry, have them etch out a picture in the paint. They can use a popsicle stick, a toothpick, their fingernail....anything. Then you just hang up the picture after, and enjoy!

Here are my boy's pictures....

Ben's jet
Nick's picture of Chicago
Nathan's bee and flower
The other Art website they gave was:

www.metmuseum.org/toah/splash.htm


Have fun!

P.s. I made these magnets too, but that's another post if you want it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment