Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blind-Folded Portraits....

So, I got bored today and was looking through a little book I got at the dollar store that talks about "52 Date ideas for Married Couples", and got to one of the ideas that read "Be Art Critics". For some reason just looking at that put this idea into my head, that I had to immediately try. I walked out to Alan and informed him that I was going to blind-fold him and he was going to draw me. He was a little skeptical....

Me "I'm gonna blind-fold you, and you are going to draw me."

Alan "Why?"

Me "Because it will be fun. Come on."

(I grabbed the brand new industrial roll of paper I bought to entertain the kids when they are home)

Alan "For who? This doesn't sound like fun." He grudgingly followed me to the bathroom door, where we would be doing it.

All the kids who were in our room watching Toy Story 3, came out to see what we were up to.

Me "Ok, you are going to draw me. No peeking."

Then I put my flashiest pink ribbon over his eyes and placed him in front of the paper, crayon in hand. The boys were so giddy with excitement they could hardly stand it. I guided his free hand over the paper so he would know where the edges were and not draw on the door.

He drew a tiny circle.

Me "Draw it bigger."

He drew it a tiny bit bigger, pretty much over where he drew the first circle.

Me "Bigger."

He drew it a tiny bit bigger, again over the same spot.

Nick "You keep drawing it in the same spot, Dad!"

I moved him over a few inches, and used his free hand to demonstrate how big I was thinking. He started drawing, and so did the fun. Ben and I were laughing silently, Nick just threw care to the wind and was openly giggling. Pretty soon, Ben and I gave up and joined Nick in laughing hysterically. When Alan finished, he pulled the blind-fold off, and chuckled along with us. Here is his masterpiece:



Nathan thought he drew a zombie, and was therefore scared of it. The older boys started saying they wanted to do it too. But first, my turn....


Ok. I must say, I WAS blind-folded, but we were using crayons so I had an idea of where I had drawn. Before drawing, I would swipe with my free hand to feel where the crayon was so I had some clue where things should go. Not technically cheating, really-but I'll use a marker next time to even the playing field. Here is Alan, through my prettily covered eyes:



He does not wear ties nor bring me flowers, but it was a lot of fun. The boys all did their own drawings of us too. I think we started a new tradition, because this was a very entertaining for all, even doubting Alan. I highly recommend it for family nights, date-nights, or just because. I think we're going to do self portraits next time. =)

Now the kids' pictures....

Ben drew Alan.

Nathan drew both Alan and I.

Nick drew me.

No comments:

Post a Comment