Thursday, November 10, 2011

$5 Snowman Craft

My kids have been asking to decorate for Christmas since the day after Halloween. Then when I was going to my friend's house for a Girls Night Out, I saw one of her neighbors already had their Christmas tree up in front of the window, and lights around the house. I was a bit shocked at the timing (November 4th!!), and said something to Misty about it, and she said that she was thinking of putting hers up soon too. Not feeling validated in my shock, I said something to my hubby when I got home and he said it made sense as well!

"That way you get to enjoy it longer than a month."

?!?!?!?!? Am I the only one who thinks Thanksgiving is being forgotten? Mind you, Christmas is my favorite holiday, and I do listen to Christmas music all year; but I think the full on decorating should wait until the day after Thanksgiving. At least. What do you think?

It seems like I'm being out ruled in my house though with the constant asking, and the everyday pleads to decorate for Christmas. I have to admit, I am softening up to the idea-just a bit. We are still going to be making Thanksgiving decorations for the inside, but I compromised and did decide that if I put something up OUTSIDE it wouldn't take away from the spirit of Thanksgiving, and I would buy myself some time before I get barraged with pleading again.

So this is what I decided to do. My $5 craft from the dollar store. Thank you Pinterest for the idea.

 These are what I had for inspiration.....



http://carolannbychance.blogspot.com/2011/11/is-it-too-early-to-dream-of-christmas.html

http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2010/11/tool-time-tuesdaysnow-wreath.html


Of course, if you want the wreaths to be nice and full like these, it is going to cost more-but the dollar store does have both the green faux pine, and a light wicker-ish wood type wreaths for you to pick from. For my snowman I got an 18 inch, a 16 inch, and a 12 inch faux pine wreaths. Then I got a wool scarf, and a hat that I liked to go on it. At home I had pipe cleaners, a door hanger and bells to accessorize. It was very easy, and quick. The whole thing took maybe 5 minutes, and I love it. The boys were SO happy when they came home from school and saw it. how do you like it?



My doors are nowhere near as fancy as the ones online, but I like it. I did take a couple of twisty ties and secure the hat, branches and scarf to the wreath underneath, and the bells were above the snowman instead of on it
like I was planning, just so I could hold the door hanger down to a hook on the door. Now if it gets windy, or the door gets slammed-I'm not worried about it falling down. In the end I love it, and the price could NOT be beat!!

1 comment:

  1. No, you're not alone! I think it's insane to decorate, or do anything for Christmas until after you've eaten on Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, and it is for sure overlooked by pretty much everyone these days! Do the sacrifices of our ancestors really mean so little? Can we not just have one day to show our appreciation for all they did for us? Just one day is set aside for us to show our gratitude for those we love and care for, to show our thanks for all our family and friends mean to us. Just one day. Valentine’s day is by far the lamest of the holidays and people go nuts for it! How does this make sense? Yes, this topic hit a nerve! Hehehe.
    I am grateful to you for noticing that November 4th might be a tad too early for Christmas! Thank you Tammy, and don’t give in!

    ReplyDelete