Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Strawberry Pie

 
 
http://gratefulprayerthankfulheart.blogspot.com/2011/04/strawberry-pie.html
 
 
     I found this recipe on Pinterest, and just knew it had to be made! Which is surprising, considering I really am not a fan of pies. I think my extreme dislike of pies is due to the fact that I really hate pie crust. The poor pie filling is just guilty by association. Sad really. There are only two pies I like, and they must be made in a graham cracker crust-no exceptions. My all time favorite pie is Sour Cream Lemon Pie (YUM!!), and a close second is Strawberry. But it has to have the jell-o type goo in it or no deal. That is why this one was a must have, once I changed out the crust of course. =)
 
     We went to my mom's house to have dinner, and decided to make this for dessert. (Bad idea. I didn't really think about how long this would take to set up.) But I didn't know, so we plunked ahead with the plan. My oldest son, Ben, is in scouts-and I have been very, very lazy about doing anything with him this summer to pass off in his book, so I thought I would ask if he wanted to make it for us. He did! He really was the one in charge of doing all of it. I cut a few strawberries, washed them, and dumped in the Jell-o. Also, out of necessity I showed him how to stir a boiling pot without shooting everything out the side of the pan. Slowly, slowly!!!! Other than that, it was him. Below are a few pictures documenting him.


His favorite part because he was allowed to use Grandma's super sharp knives.
 

Dividing strawberries...

Stirring the sugar, water and cornstarch.

My hand adding the Jell-o. I should be a hand model. =)

Little known fact.....hand on the hip makes it taste better. It's true.

My proud Baby. He even decorated it all himself. Side note- He just told me, "That was how I was saying 'I love you', because I didn't have enough room to write it for you." AWWWWW!!
     He had so much fun doing this, he asked to do this all the time. =) It was so, SO good!! There really are no words other than, "you must make this now!" We followed he recipe exactly, other than replacing the crust. In doing this, I ended up with a smaller crust, so we had some of the Jell-o goo left, but you can always add strawberries to that and make it into strawberry shortcake!

     The blog this came from is very interesting, and I recommend you follow that as well. =)

With a Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart Blog
http://gratefulprayerthankfulheart.blogspot.com/2011/04/strawberry-pie.html





Strawberry Pie
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups sugar (It is a SWEET dessert, you might want to reduce the sugar. We like it sweet)
1 1/2 cups water
3 oz box strawberry Jell-O
2 cups sliced strawberries

Pre-bake a 10" pie shell.

Line bottom with the sliced strawberries

Combine cornstarch, sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add the Jell-O and stir until dissolved. Pour over the strawberries and refrigerate until set.

Serve with whipped cream

ENJOY!!!









2 comments:

  1. I need this recipe for sour cream lemon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "All Time Favorite" one is from Marie Callender's. It's where I tried it for the first time, and no others matched up. I found this online, and though I have NOT tried it myself, I fully expect to make it soon. So here is a (hopefully) good recipe, and I hope a really close one to the perfection that was my first Sour Cream Lemon Pie.
      http://creativehomemakers.blogspot.com/2008/07/sour-cream-lemon-pie-just-like-maries.html

      Delete