Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Do you remember the time................No. No, I don't.

How many times in one day does it take for you to realize you need toilet paper in the bathroom, after you've already sat down to go? 3, apparently for me. Do you think I have rectified the situation, and walked my happy butt out to the laundry room where the huge Costco package of toilet paper is yet? That would be a no too, because I just thought of it again as I sat down to type. What have I been using all day when this has happened to me? Kind of a personal question to ask, don't you think? Pervert. But, since you asked, I'll tell you. I have an emergency supply of those flushable baby wipes hidden in my bathroom, because this same situation has come up one too many times, with the kids out of earshot, and me stuck on the loo. (I am part English, and that is what my people call it!) Don't tell them or Alan if you see them, because then I would really be out of luck and that's not something I want to think about. I'm not really sure why this particular conversation would come up, but you already asked about what I used to wipe with, so I have no idea what you choose to talk about with others. Maybe you could learn a little something about "personal boundaries", but what do I know? I'm just covering my butt-so to speak.
 
Now that that's out of the way........How was your day?
Today's projects. Miles' is on the end, Ben's holding it for the camera shy baby.
It's Tuesday, so it was Art Class day! I did remember to bring my camera today, but did not remember to take any pictures. If you read my blog, this will not surprise you at all. We made dream catchers, and though the Mom's and I did a good chunk of the work, the kids were all pretty happy with the outcomes. My children's are proudly displayed on their bedroom walls, except for Ben's. His is in the Family Room, where he is planning to sleep, I guess. So not gonna happen.

We also did this at Redwood Park, which is a new park-to me, and I love it! It is close to home, and the equipment is all pretty new. So no bird poo, swearing teenagers, throngs of out of control children (even mine were on their best behavior!!), and there was a mom there that was blowing bubbles for our kids while we were otherwise employed. It was awesome. Alan even took the boys there again tonight. They loved it, and I am glad that we had the chance to find it.

I don't remember going to the park a lot when I was a kid. If I wanted to play on a playground I had to walk on my own 2 feet *gasp* the Mile or so up the road to Ayers Elementary. Like I didn't spend enough time there as it was. It was a much safer time back then, so seeing a few 7-8 year olds walking along the road at all hours of the day wasn't out of the norm. Today kids expect to be driven to the park all the time, and it seems like you are guilty of neglect if you don't take them. I feel like I'm almost spoiling my kids, but I'm probably just jealous that I didn't get this done for me. It's like we used to torture my little brother, Adam when we would see my mom doing things for the "baby" that she never did for us. Driving him to school, picking him up from school.....I don't think he realized what legs were even for until he was out of high school. He never had to take the bus, and know the struggle of just getting to school alive. With the overcrowding, missed stops because the driver "forgot" to stop after you rang the bell indicating you'd "like to get off please!!", or the serious B.O. that could knock out an elephant, and is so common among kids in Middle School who's parents either never introduced them to a shower or a stick of deodorant! He will never know that pain, so my brothers/sisters and I took it upon ourselves to let him know his place. He was the youngest after all. I used to tell him that "he'll never get away with anything, or do anything original because all of us have thought of it/done it before him-so don't even try. (Ok, so I wasn't always the shining pillar of society that I am today.....) I feel like my kids will become like the horrible kids I see all too often around town if I keep giving in to their every whim, so maybe for every park trip I should take away something from them, so they don't get too spoiled to manage.

"Oh, you want to go to the park? Well, you will have to give up your bed, and sleep on the floor for a month."

"What? Another park trip you say? How about no toilet privileges for the rest of the day? Sound fair?"

Hmm, maybe not. Maybe I could just indulge this little part of childhood so they can look back and remember that I wasn't always the mean mom who said "No". That sounds a little better. What do you think?

Gute Nacht, all! ( No, I'm not German, but given the English reference earlier, I feel very multi-cultural all of a sudden)

1 comment: