Sunday, September 12, 2010

I Will Not Hide My Feelings Any Longer....



I want it to be okay to listen to Christmas music all year, and not feel like a social outcast for feeling this way!

"Ugh, it's way too early for that!"
"I don't even want to think about Christmas already!" (cough, cough....Mom.....)
"What the heck is this on for?"

I happen to love Christmas music! I'm tired of being ashamed, and I'm especially tired of only being able to listen to it for 1 month out of the year! I feel like I have to go into "Joy to the World" overload, and not get to enjoy it for all it stand for. Christmas happens to be one of my top 2 favorite holidays, and if it weren't for the fact that there are so many dang cool Halloween decorations-it would be #1! I love the memories that come with hearing the songs. I love the messages of love, peace, and just general "warm fuzzies" that come with listening to it. I'm listening to it right now! Olivia Newton John is singing about her "Mothers Christmas Wish" for her children.

She wants them to learn to love. Learn to give. Learn to lose. Live the truth in all they do....These are fantastic lessons that all kids need to hear ALL YEAR LONG! Because at Christmas, let's be honest-they are not really listening to the beautiful messages about love, hope, and Jesus. They are thinking about what Santa is going to get them, and how they can convince him to bring a few more presents to them. Greed is what rules their minds from November 1st until December 26th. Even longer for some.....

I say, play the music DAILY! Maybe if people heard the "do good" message, they would be more willing to hold the door open for someone at the store. To let the person behind them with only a few items, skip ahead in line, and possibly make their day. Let the jerk who almost hit you, get in front of you on the road, and wave at them with a real smile instead of the one finger solute you really want to do. (Hey-it's easy to do good to the nice people, it counts double when the person doesn't even deserve it.)

So, I challenge you to go right now, and pull out some of the dusty Christmas CD's you have hanging around your house. I dare you NOT to be in a good mood listening to it!

And mom-you can listen to it, and not think about all the money that comes with Christmas in general. It is possible. Enjoy the music!

4 comments:

  1. You go! I love Christmas music & for me it's in my ipod shuffle year round. Plus it kinda fun to burst out into random Christmas song. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor said just today, "Christmas would be my favorite Holiday if it weren't for the awesome decorations they have for Halloween!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always knew Taylor was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your love of Christmas music. Round about the end of November I bring out all the CD's and old cassette tapes. Going caroling each year with a group of friends is also a delight. Christmas without music would not be Christmas!

    And if you’ll excuse a brief “commercial:” If you don't have a good book on the subject of our Christmas carols, I encourage you to take a look at mine, Discovering the Songs of Christmas. In it, I discuss the history and meaning of 63 carols and Christmas hymns. The book is available through Amazon, or directly from Jebaire Publishing. (Might make a great gift too!)

    ReplyDelete