Tuesday, September 14, 2010

More Music Musings......


This is an online radio station that plays songs based on the artist you put in that you like. It is also perfectly named. I don't know that I really wanted to open up the Pandora's Box of "uncoolness" that I try so hard to deny sometimes, when it comes to music. You can put in any artist or song that you like and it will play selections similar to it. Um, I am a total nerd. My selections were as follows.......

James Taylor
Dan Fogelburg
Michael Buble
Michael Jackson
Jessica Simpson (Yes, I did.)
Spice Girls (Yes, I did this too...)
Rob Thomas
Chicago
Barbara Streisand
Jason Mraz
The Monkees
Sting & The Police
The Beatles
John Mayer
Elton John
Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton (Together! Islands in the stream, here I come....)
Jonas Brothers (This was on purpose. Camp Rock 2 kinda hooked me..)

I love the Monkees! I faked being sick a few Sundays while younger, to stay home from church and watch the Monkees Marathons that were on MTV. I'm not ashamed.
Rule The World by Take That (One of my favorites! Please take a few minutes to listen)
I realize that only a few of my choices are appropriate for someone my age, but seriously-even I am embarrassed by some of these! But clearly not enough to stop listening to them. Embarrassing-yes, but I ask you;

Who defines what is "cool" enough to listen to?

I know my sister (Holly) always makes fun of me for my choices. And last night, a friend was asking for the names of some of the songs that were on my mixed tapes growing up, because she liked them. When I started listing songs & groups, I was kind of shy about putting it out there, until I remembered that she said she liked my stuff too. I sit here now thinking about how I try not to care, but honestly, I am terrified of being judged  by others! And over something so stupid as the music I like!

I have always been more of a laid back person, and upon reflection-my music choices kind of fit. Easy listening-Not too loud, soothing. Pop-bubbly, kind of songs you can sing along with easily. I can't handle "music" that is just loud and has no understandable lyrics. I don't think it's "singing" when you scream and growl into a microphone. If I'm gonna be real, I enjoy happy people singing about love. Period. And Sting, but that's a no brainer.

I could listen to him sing all day. It's truly a sickness.
I am probably losing the 3 or 4 readers I have, just by listing the music I actually listen to. It's really hard to admit my inner nerdiness, without wanting to revert back into the awkward Middle School 'tween' girl in me, dropping to my knees and screaming at the top of my lungs, "Please accept me!!" Putting my desperation out there like a flasing road sign. I can't dance, I can't sing-but that doesn't stop me from trying whenever a catchy little tune comes on. (If you have seen how some of my family members dance, you will understand this. I have genetics against me here.) I just try to not do it where anybody can see me-I have been caught rocking out in a car before, with my friend. It was a "deer caught in the headlights" kind of moment, that melted us into fits of laughter. It is a great memory, but I don't want to do that again. Sadly, I still care too much of what people think of me. But, my kids don't judge. They love me no matter what, so I inflict this painful sight on them. Hey, what is family for?

4 comments:

  1. I have to say, the Beatles and Barbara really set you back on the cool scale, but the Monkees and James Taylor more than make up for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sing like a rock star and dance like no one is watching! That's my theory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool is overrated...unless you live somewhere like Arizona. Then it's important. Claim what you like girl & don't let anyone nay say you! And trust me, you are not the biggest dork...you should see my playlist. :-P

    ReplyDelete