Friday, September 3, 2010

A Movie Review, Of Sorts.......

I watched Why did I get Married Too last night with Alan. I liked it. Some say Tyler Perry comes off as kind "preachy" with his movies. I say- "hey, if it's a good lesson-preach on, Brother Perry!" His movies all have a good theme, and lots of humor.

This one is the sequel to Why did I get Married, named such for obvious reasons. It features four different couples-and deals with the struggles of being married, and living everyday life. Hilarity, and tears ensue. The four couples are so different from each other, that as I was watching it, I was totally thinking of people I know who fit into each of their roles. Then came this one scene, and it really caught me off guard for how close it hit home.....

One of the couples Sheila and Troy-had just had a baby, moved across the country, and now he was looking for work so they had no money. 

(the following is a paraphrase of the scene)

*All four of the couples had just arrived at the rental house in the Bahamas, for their "Why did I get married" weekend retreat, when an unexpected & uninvited visitor showed up. They are all sitting around talking about what to do.....*

Sheila "Blah, Blah, Blah....We spent our last to get here, so we're staying. Blah, Blah."
Troy "Sheila can I talk to you inside for a second?"

*They walk indoors for privacy.....*

Troy "Why you gotta tell our business like that?"
Sheila "I have no idea what you are talking about..."
Troy " "We spent our last to get here......" (not quite imitating her, but all bent out of shape)"

*Then there is more Blah, blah, blah....*

Sheila ".......You need to let go of your pride.....blah, blah...."

*After a bit more conversation I can't remember, he goes upstairs, she goes outside to her girlfriends, and they talk it out.*

Sheila " .........Was I wrong to say that??"
Angela "Did you spend your last to get here?"
Sheila "Yes. "
Angela "Then, No."

(The guy Troy isn't a jerk by any means, though he kinda comes off that way here. Disregard that, I was just getting the main details out for the point of this...)

At this point in the movie, I looked at Alan and said,

Me "Can they not be us? I swear we have had this exact conversation. Close enough to it, anyway."
Alan "What are you talking about?"
Me "You know me-I have no boundaries when I talk to people. (As some of you know all too well) I say whatever I'm thinking, and you get mad at me for telling people "our business" ".
Alan *scoff loudly* "Whatever..."

I am so serious though. There are a few movies that have come close to some of the conversations/arguments we have had. This was pretty much dead on. It was crazy. A few more times, something would happen, and I would look over at him and cough in his direction, like "see? There they go again, being us...." (The Break Up was another movie. The fight that they actually break up over is seriously something that sounds too close to things we have said. It's like they bugged our house to write that scene.)

Me and Alan have some weird fights, and we clearly don't see eye to eye on how to deal with it. Alan would have us not talk about it to anyone, even each other. I can't do that. I have to talk things out otherwise I end up blowing up about something completely stupid, and unrelated later. And if Alan won't talk to me, I will find someone else to vent to. I see nothing wrong with this. He does. I will admit that I have recently figured out that I do indeed have "social diarrhea of the mouth", and I really don't know when I am doing it. I tend to over share things rather than under share, so if I say things that offend you, please let me know, because chances are-I have no idea I have made you uncomfortable in the least.

Oh! In the last minute or so of the movie, there was a serious "eyecandy" surprise......The Rock made an appearance-which made me like the movie even more. Alan's reaction was a little less enthused,

"What?!? Oh, come on! Why is he in this?!? That doesn't even make any sense!"

It did make sense, but even if it didn't-it was the freaking ROCK!! He can show up in Alan's movies any day. I did enjoy the movie though, and I came out fulfilled, and full of love and appreciation for Alan like Tyler Perry movies tend to make me do. I think Alan came out thinking about how he would screen the next movie for the Rock before I got to watch it with him, if he ever watched one with me again.
Yes, please.....

No comments:

Post a Comment