Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Let's file this away under, "I can't believe I actually did this......."

Yes, that was me. If you were driving East/West bound on Redwood Highway around 3:00 pm, that was in fact me that you saw scurrying around in the West bound fast lane, gathering up the contents of my purse/diaper bag.

Thank you to the "Good Samaritan" lady, who stopped in said fast lane so that the cars would go around me, and not hit me as I grabbed my wallet, diapers, kids medicine, and the broken pieces of my cell phone-which were spread all over the road. (The one and only casualty of my idiotic deed. Which was fine, since I have insurance on it, and I was having battery issues lately. Problem solved!) Also, a huge thanks to this same saintly lady who honked and pointed out my debit card, which was about to be blown away. You are Awesome!



I have been distracted lately, and have been rather forgetful. I've been misplacing my keys a lot-and by "misplacing" I mean leaving them in the ignition. 2 of these times were actually while I was at the store. I'm just glad there isn't a huge demand for raggedy, trash filled Toyota Camry's in Grants Pass right now. Now my distractions are apparently lending themselves to other parts of my ridiculously forgetful brain.

We were heading to my mom's house for some swimming because it is a pretty hot day today. So I put Miles in the car & handed him his bottle out of the purse. Normally-right here I would have grabbed the purse/diaper bag and put it on the floor at Miles' feet, but this time I turned to see if the boys had shut the front door. They had, so I just shut the car door and got in the drivers seat. The bag stayed on the trunk while I did a U-turn, drove up the driveway hill, and pulled out onto the road. It stayed on until we were about at the halfway mark between our driveway, and my mom's road (about 400 yards or so). Then I see in the rear view mirror what looked like the contents of a black trash bag being spread across the road. "Hmm, that's funny. I don't recall running over anything." Then it hit me-I screamed "My purse!!", and probably scared the life out of the boys. Flipped a fast u-turn, and parked on the side of the highway. I took off across the lanes, picked up my bag, and as fast as I possibly could-started shoving anything I could see into it. Thankfully this is when the lady came, and I was able to calm down a bit and search for things with an eagle eye so I didn't forget anything.

The only things missing are $1 I had just sitting in my wallet, the extra bottle of juice for Miles, and the memory card for my phone. The last one I am pretty mad about because needless to say, I need to get everybody's numbers again. Of course, as most people in this day in age-I didn't ever write any numbers down. Lesson learned. I will be buying an address book after this, as my "hard copy" back-up. All in all, It was a stupid thing to do, but I came out very lucky. Thank you, God. I know you had a huge part in that.

I'm still shaking a bit, but I think that it's from phone withdrawl. I keep reaching for my phone, to check my e-mail, Facebook and see what's new on Eonline. I have a problem, and maybe this will help me through it a bit. I've filed a claim, and my new phone will be here in a day or so. Hope I survive!

P.S. if you are reading this, you were in my phone, so I will be needing your number. Please e-mail it to me at matchgirl123@aol.com. Thanks!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sos sorry you had such a bad day! I relate to the forgetfulness! But it seems to get better as the kids get older and can pack themselves into the car. So don't worry, it will get better!
    Love and Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Glad you got everything back, and that you went for the insurance thing that I always pass on. It's a shame about that dollar though :)

    ReplyDelete