Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why do I see this snowman in my future........


Just thought I'd post this. I grew up reading Calvin and Hobbes, still have a few books right here next to me in fact. This one just made me laugh, so I thought I'd put it up to let you all reminisce. My favorite teacher, Mr. "Griz" Griswold (RIP) would write me notes when I T.A.'d for him that he said were "secret". When I'd open them, they would say:

To: Calvin
From: Hobbes
GOOCH!

He was freaking brilliant! He wore Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals to class, and always had sunglasses on, or tucked into his shirt pocket. He sang little sings to himself, and would start bellowing out lines from the movie that was playing, just to make sure people were paying attention. One time he yelled out, "ACHOO!!" really loudly, and scared the crap out of the class-in the middle of a test, just to do it. Then he looked over at me, winked, and just quietly said, "Oh, bless me", and went back to reading his paper.

He was the epitome of cool. I wish every kid had a teacher like that. My whole "TA" duties consisted of passing out folders at the beginning of class, and picking them up at the end. It took me maybe 2 minutes, and the rest of the time I hung out in the back of the class talking with him about the most random things. He certainly didn't need an assistant, unless you count running notes down the hall to his buddy that he loved to pull pranks on, Mr. Tellsworth, as vital to his job. But he was wonderful enough to let me do it because I had a free period, and my best friend was in his class. I did actually have him for another period, but he didn't care. Griz, you rocked. Thanks for the memories!

1 comment:

  1. He was the best!! His rubber band cockroaches hitting us in the head.....telling me "I don't carry bills that small" when I needed change for a $5....giving us extra credit for calling him Professor Griz.....tests and papers on the awesome movies that we watched during class. Love him!

    ReplyDelete