Monday, July 19, 2010

Question of the day.....

So I have a question for all of you out there in blogland.

What do you do when you offer someone foot scrub for their dry feet, and they put their foot up on you and lean back-for you to do it like they were at a day spa?

This scenario just happened to me today, and I was at a loss for words. I sat there dumbfounded for a few seconds thinking, I could either:

  • Shove her foot off me, and scream"what do you think you are doing?"
  • Tell her there would be a $40 charge for my services.
  • Tell her I'm not that kind of girl.
  • Or, just grab the scrub and do her feet for her.

I can't believe it either. So I chose the best option for the awkward situation and just scrubbed her feet for her, since I don't have a problem with feet, and I didn't want to make her feel bad. I did feel kinda weird about it.

I should give you a little background on this girl though. I responded to an add on freecycle.com for some craft supplies. I talked to her mother about coming and getting them, but she would rather have had her daughter drop them off to me. I understand how some people are about their safety so I didn't think that was weird. I met the girl-"Chatty Cathy", at Blockbuster since I had to go shopping for dinner supplies. I met her and her little daughter, and she gave me the craft box, and sat there talking to me for a long time. I should have told her I have to go, but I didn't want to be rude, so I just listened to her rant on about her life, and needing a job, and her baby's daddy. She said something about art, and like a fool I told her I loved to make things. Stupid, I know, but it just slipped out. She coincidentally loves art too, and-get this-We should go into business together. Again, I know now, I should have run. Again, I didn't. I just laughed, and never said yes. She wouldn't let go of the idea of "our business", so I told her she could maybe show me her stuff sometime. She decided she would follow me home and show me. I figured, "fine, if it gets me out of here, there would be no harm in it." Looking back, I was wrong. Finally after almost an hour, I said I needed to go shopping, so she decided to follow me over to Albertsons and wait for me. When I came out, she asked me to watch her baby so she can go into Cellular One and make a phone call. Then she just walked off. Now, I know that I should have seen all the red flags that were presenting themselves. I was stupid. I don't like to hurt people's feelings, and figured it would be over soon enough. And secondly-I would never just ask a total stranger I barely know to watch my child, especially not walk off before they respond! After she came back, she followed me home. This was around 6pm. After hours of eating our food, playing on the computer, smoking and throwing the cigarette butts all over the porch, having me watch her kid while she just watched TV, and listening to her complain about her life, 2:30 am rolled around. I finally get her to go out to her car, and turn it on. She told me that it was so late she didn't think she was going to make it home, she was so tired, & "could she and her baby spend the night?" I just wanted to go to bed, so I said yes, and put her in Ben and Nick's room. I gave her some pajamas for her and the baby, and went to bed, just wondering how I got suckered into this. She left early the next morning, and I was just happy to have my house back.

Mind you this is our first meeting! She calls me when she needs stuff, asked for money-or a job (thankfully, I had neither to offer her) and even asked me to watch her daughter for 2 days (when the baby's dad lives in Central Point, and I had only met her the 1 time!!)-to which I said No, since I couldn't fit her in my car with my kids. I can't lie well, so at least that was true. I only gave her my cell number, because my phone doesn't work here so I can only text. Hee, hee. But if I don't answer her texts, then she will just show up. The girl is odd, and can't take a hint-but she is nice enough when she's around, and I really do like her ex-bf that she brings with her sometimes, so I feel bad being rude. She clearly didn't learn about boundaries growing up, and is "a few crayons short of a box". I think some of the crayons missing are common sense, and tact, but I'm just sayin....

By the way, her ex-boyfriend does have common sense and because of him, she hasn't spent the night again-not for her lack of trying. She stalls, and he gets her out. I like it better when he will be around. Plus he is a very interesting guy, & the kids love him.

I could write a book on my many "Chatty Cathy" adventures, but it's my fault she does this. I am a person who just can't say no, and my overwhelming sense of guilt if I offend someone outweighs my own common sense, and happiness. Complete "doormat syndrome". And because of these personal flaws, I am left scrubbing some random girl's crusty, dry feet, and wondering why I wasn't born with a backbone.

4 comments:

  1. O.K. So that is weird and sounds like something I would do minus the foot scrubbing part. Although I understand exactly how you got there. Glad to hear you are at a place where you understand why it happened and are that much stronger for it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in a similar situation! But not to that extent. I don't have a problem with NOT letting people treat me like a doormat though. The girl sounds kinda creepy to me. You should call her mom and find out why she isn't at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, you really make me laugh. I just spent the last little while reading all of your blog posts and just giggled. You are truly one of my favorite people. I am so glad you are happy and enjoy your cute little family so much. Sounds like you are a terrific mom!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I must say that my feelings are hurt....after all of the time we have spent together, you have never scrubbed my feet! Hee hee

    ReplyDelete